Image by Wonderlane
A previous Letter2Trump brought up the concept of Karma. As a student of Buddhist practice, I thought it a good time to examine this concept in terms of your presidency. I discovered a variety of definitions; among them:
- The sum of a person’s actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences. (Google)
- Destiny or fate, following as effect from cause. (Google)
- Force of nature which causes one to reap what one sows. (Google)
- Consequences of our inner intentions behind action and ignorance of self. (Google)
- Totality of a person’s actions in any one of the successive states of that person’s existence … determining the fate of the next stage. (Webster’s New World Dictionary)
- Fate, destiny. (Webster’s)
- Action as cause and action as effect. That thought, speech, or act will have an effect on our mental and physical health and on the health of the world. And that effect, bitter or sweet, wholesome or unwholesome, is the fruit of the karma, the fruit of the thought. We are continued into the future through the effect of our thoughts, speech, and actions. Thought and speech are forms of action. When we produce a thought that is full of anger, fear, or despair, it has an immediate effect on our health and on the health of the world. (Thich Nhat Hanh, The World We Have)
I read somewhere that you wanted the public to believe that you meditate. If that’s so, I assume you are familiar with karma. I think the fourth and last definitions are particularly important in terms of your role as president. I won’t delineate your speech and actions of the past year, nor do I presume to know your thoughts or intentions, but a quick list of your actions and speech might be helpful: lying, blaming others, promoting violence throughout the world, sexual assaults, criminal business practices, name calling, obstruction of justice, using citizen tax dollars for your and your family’s personal pleasures and gain, defaming the press, disseminating white supremacist and racist views, etc. By any standard, these are “unwholesome.” Your speech and actions are having an extremely deleterious effect on you, this country’s citizens, other countries, and the entire planet’s health. Please stop – or resign. No one else is responsible for where you’re at right now. All you have encountered is by your own design. One of the primary purposes of meditation is to discover oneself. If you meditate, I hope you will meditate on the nature of Self.
That being said, you cannot lie or blame your way out of fewer inauguration attendees than Obama had; or a handful of folks showing up for the lighting of the National Christmas tree. Or responsible media stating the truth. Or the investigation of you and your family coming your way. Please. Examine your Self. Stop endangering yourself and the world. Your “karma” may create who you are in some future existence; but, more importantly, the effects are happening now.
Like the previous letter writer, I’m done with you. I have more important things to do. I have work to do on myself that will help create a more compassionate and kinder world.